Monday, February 18, 2008

Cajun Curry

LawDog and Matt G occasionally share their recipes for nice family meals. I figured to toss out this hearty Meal-for-One.
“Authentic recipe?*” I seriously doubt it, but a fairly rapid, filling meal.

1 can Campbell's Chicken Gumbo
¾ can of water
2 tsp curry powder
1tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp Sambal Olek ground chili paste
-- or
1 tbsp Sriracha chili sauce

Steamed white rice

Put soup into medium-size sauce pan
Add water and stir
Whisk in peanut butter and chili sauce OR chili paste
Bring to slow boil, watching lest it boil over.
Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
Whisk in curry powder and simmer for another five minutes or until thickened.

Spoon over steamed rice. Eat with mango chutney or Indian mango and lime relish.

Serves one hungry person. I like spicy food. You might want to halve the curry powder and chili the first time you try this.

*Any authenticity is by coincidence. I worked out this one by myownself.


9 comments:

Don said...

That sounds pretty good, especially with some chicken added. I might have to try that.

Melissa won't eat anything with any hint of curry, no matter how mild.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful. I'll definitely try this one out just as written. I love the spicy.

J.R.Shirley said...

Sounds great. Mmm.

Buckaroo Banzai said...

The peanut butter almost lost me, but I'll try it.

Old NFO said...

Dang... shoulda read the WHOLE post!!! That was HOT!!!! But it was GOOD too. Thanks much.

Matt G said...

Mm. Warm culture fusion.

D. said...

I had to use chicken broth instead of gumbo but it was nicely warm. I wouldn't call it that hot though.

phlegmfatale said...

YUM! Sounds glorious!

Shay said...

Rank Injustice

All things chickeny or muttony
Taste better far when et with chutney
This is the mystery eternal--
Why didn't Major Grey make Colonel?

(and no, I can't remember who wrote this).