Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cold Weather Shootin' Match

What Am I Thinking?

0745 on a chilly morning. I shouldn't even be out of bed. I'm retired, and it's a Saturday anyhow. I mean, I'm a Suthron by birth and a bit cold natured to boot. I freely admit that some of you have it worse, and live where it gets LOTS colder than it does in my area. You know what? I don't care. It's MY comfort I'm thinking about. If you thrive in a cold climate, than God bless and I'm glad you enjoy it. You're made of stronger stuff than I.

Local cable weather svc says it's 24 degrees out, with a TWELVE degree wind chill. It MAY get up to 50 this afternoon. I'm not as temperature tolerant as in my youth - - or even middle age. To paraphrase, this is no weather for old men – at least, not this old man.

So what the hell am I doing, loading up to go out to a shooting match? I've been looking forward to some trigger time and this is a good excuse. Actually, there are TWO matches in easy driving range this morning. One is an IDPA-style pistol contest. I need to see one of the regular participants who has a couple of my .45 magazines. The other is a submachine gun match. For a change, I have plenty of ammo loaded up.

I can't be in two places at once, so I'm taking gear for both matches, and if it turns out that one has been canceled, I'll drive over to the other one. I just hate to get all bundled up. And I don't like to shiver. Wish me luck, huh?

8 comments:

Dad29 said...

Greetings!

This morning, here, it's -3F.

Screw "wind chill." That's for ninnies.

Anonymous said...

I hope you are able to do some shooting after getting up and dressing warm.

I'm in my jammies as it's colder here:)

Don said...

It's up to around +5 here, you know. Balmy. My response is to stay indoors!

I don't think I could survive your summers down there, though, Mr. Guest. I've spent a couple of weeks over on the Gulf side of Texas during the summer months, and that was enough for me.

Ambulance Driver said...

Go show 'em how it's done, old man. ;)

KD5NRH said...

How'd it turn out? It had warmed up enough here by afternoon for me to go out and test a couple new loads and the new EGW firing pin stop in my 1911.

Assrot said...

Well, it's too late to wish you luck. I doubt someone that's been shooting as long as you have needs any luck anyway. It's probably all second nature to you by now.

I'd have gone for the SMG match. They are more fun to shoot and they give off a little more heat than a pistol.

I hope you had fun whatever match you shot. I know most folks worry about getting old. Me I can't wait for the day when I don't have to go to work anymore.

I'll be at one or the other of the ranges or shooting clubs I'm a member of all the time. You and my dad have it made (you also have a lot in common).

I did get to go shoot some skeet, trap and sporting clays during my 2 weeks Christmas vacation this year.

It was great just to get out and do some shooting and spend some time with my dad.

I also got my grandson his first pistol this year. He's 12 years old and a damn sight beter shot than I am. I got him a Henry .22 Lever Action when he was 10. He's been practicing alot.

Let us hear how things turned out for you at the matches.

Joe

Tam said...

"It MAY get up to 50 this afternoon."

Oh, to have seen 50 degrees today!

The balmy part of the afternoon fell short of that by... uh... carry the two... 24 degrees.

Camila said...

Hi great reading yourr blog